Pages

Friday, June 28, 2013

Hungry Mother


Every time I am reminded of this quaint restaurant’s name, I picture my mother. My hungry mother. My mother loves food but she’s a tad bit selective. She loves her food clean and green and I think I might follow in her footsteps just to give my heart a break (not literally but you get what I mean). Or maybe not. I can’t imagine a life without good great tasting food!
@Mom We shall make a reservation for when you visit!


Hungry Mother was (and still is) a highly raved about restaurant on our restaurant checklist. And since J and I were craving Southern food, we decided to head down to Kendall Square on a Thursday night. The restaurant could’ve been easily mistaken for an apartment building as its exterior looks exactly like one and that’s because it is in fact on the ground floor of a three-leveled apartment building. Upon entering the restaurant, I noted how cozy and crowded it was despite it being a weekday. The interior mirrored that of the inside of a house thus the very warm atmosphere. I must say that the service rendered was excellent – not the kind of superficial pompous greetings you sometimes get at Michelin Star Restaurants…but a more wholesome humble aura was what it was.


Namecards and souvenir pins (comes in two designs) for keepsakes.





Note the lighting at the bar. I'll show you a close-up of its style in a bit!


The food was simply amazing. Everything was prepared to perfection – not too much on the heavy side and not too salty either. J and I were initially slightly disturbed by the fact that the restaurant didn’t serve any bread before the appetizers, but we were glad they didn’t, as three courses was just the right amount for our dinner tummies.

Smoked 'Woodbury' Clams, Basil, Tabasco Mayo, Pickled Berkshire Ramps.


Salt grains were used to secure the shells onto the board.

Crispy Pork Belly 'Deviled Eggs', Bread and Butter Pickles.

Shrimp and Grits, Tasso Ham, Cornbread Croutons, Scallions.
This was a recommendation that was not on the menu. We had absolutely no regrets getting the two of the same main courses!



Chocolate Layer Cake

Toasted Pistachio and Benne Seed Tart

There you go, these lamp shades are of a similar style to the bar lighting. Made of inverted glass cups. How clever! 

Not leaving without a visit to the restroom! This one's unisex and surprisingly femininely masculine. 

Here's the feminine decor. The wallpaper is made of pages from a book entitled Batterie de Cuisine.

This is a book decor piece which was randomly stuck near the entrance of the washroom.

Masculine, bold colors with angular edges.

Mosaic tiles. How retro!

Complimentary brownies after our dessert. 
The white card you see on the right is a shop menu. The items on the list include their very own cookbook! I'm guessing the recipes must be great? (Anyone tried them?) 


233 Cardinal Medeiros Ave
Kendall Sq.
Cambridge, MA 02141.

No comments:

Post a Comment